fredag 10 maj 2013

Exercise Visual Metaphors

I honestly don't have a good understanding of metaphors.
After days of pondering I have come to the conclusion (at least for myself) that visual metaphors can have several meanings depending on who is looking at them but when put in to context for example with some headline or article they become very relevant to the information/story being told.


Doctors heal? Not one man can solve/heal all the worlds problems? The world is in a fragile state? All very possible in my eyes but maybe the illustrated had a specific topic not related to any of my above statements. 


Exposing your children to dangerous people online.


Global Warming.


Non violence, anti-guns. The above becomes more relevant though when you read the story behind it, Swedish sculpture Carl Fredrik Reuterswärd made this as a non-violence protest after his friend John Lennon was meaninglessly shot to death.



I started with a visual brainstorming session and came up with some nice sketches, hoping to be able to piece  some concept around the objects. I tried to think of the best way to represent the press in one object, I find the microphone object from the early 50's is a good option. 


I went with 2 ideas, the first was around a story I read a while back and one that seems to be reoccurring and possible relevant to a modern audience, the blockage of information available on the internet in entire countries or in some case the complete cut off of the internet, I couldn't remember the country but knew it was an Asian country and used the Japanese flag just so I knew to use a flag. The second was along those lines, blockage of information but using mobile phones as the "press". 
I showed them to my wife and asked her what they were, she didn't understand the first one and the second one she thought was about communicating, saying hello via mobile phones. 
At first I wasn't impressed with this but if it can't be understood then I haven't achieved what I set out to do.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar