fredag 26 april 2013

Exercise: Getting the gist


I went with an editorial from the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/18/penguin-337-editorial
It’s a fantastic little story of a penguin that escaped from Tokyo Sea Life Park.
The article printed out and keywords identified.



Identifying keywords

  • small grab big attention
  • Penguin 337
  • great break
  • swimming serenely
  • park’s 12-foot walls
  • cute
  • hardy and versatile
  • skiing on sand
  • vulnerable to warming seas
  • heartening dash for freedom
  • not to forget the soaring mercury


Summarising the key words

  • great break
  • park’s 12-foot walls
  • warming seas
  • dash for freedom
  • soaring mercury 


I’m going to create an image about .. a cute but strong penguin breaking free from captivity.

I started with a google search for ‘humboldt penguins’ as I didn’t have one to hand to study. I used the images to sketch up their markings, colours and general shapes and movement. I put down loose random lines and then identified lines of interest to start building up some characters.




These are 2 digital sketches, no real referencing this time other than my character sketches and some poses I had in my mind, running jump to freedom and just plain running. Reasonably pleased with these although I found it difficult with the feet from the above sketch. 


Finished watercolour of the super penguin that jumped a 12-foot wall to escape with the tokyo bay in the background.




2 finished watercolours, top is the running penguin, the right side of the picture has a very subtle concrete background and to the left a warm orange representing freedom. Bottom is a penguin breaking out (slightly inspired by the escape from Alcatraz), brick wall background and a glow around the penguin.

Reflection
It was a very interesting exercise exploring ideas around a real piece of text, an exercise well worth repeating. I am fairly pleased with the results and did manage at last to blend watercolour tones in the penguin at the top of page marker 13, an effect I have much wanted to learn to do.




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar